Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Christmas Plunder

I've been saving this post for quite some time, mostly because its taken me far too long to decide what to do with my Borders gift cards and twice that amount of time to receive everything in the mail. But I present to you my winnings from this past Christmas's gift fest:
I know the picture is bad but the books are as follows (left to right, top to bottom):
Willim Caxton and English Literary Culture by N.F. Blake (been wanting this one for quite some time)
The Western Canon: The books and School of the ages by Harold Bloom
Tales from the Perilous Realm by J.R.R. Tolkien (a nice new collection that I didn't even know existed until I unwrapped this gift from my mum)
A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis
The Book of Merlyn by T.H. White
Sir Gawain and the Green Knght translated by Burton Raffel (a new translation to me. should be interesting)
Hamlet by William Shakespeare (this was a sentimental gift from my mum since I'm teaching it for the first time this semester)
Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln (the controversial and mostly ridiculous history that inspired The DaVinci Code)

3 comments:

  1. I bought Tales from the Perilous Realm with a BN giftcard myself. Oh, and Raffel's translations usually make me want to shoot myself. Good luck, there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, noted. Although I can't fault my mom for trying. I guess its good to have multiple versions for reference. Even Tolkien's version is more a work of Tolkien than it is of the Pearl Poet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely. That's the thing I like about multiple translations: some translators try to be very literal, and there's merit in that; and some translators try to create a new work out of the old, and there's merit in that too. I tend to prefer the latter, which, I think, is why I'm a fan of Tolkien's Green Knight and Heaney's Beowulf...

    ReplyDelete