Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Best of Lewis Carroll


This book is a blue hardcover that contains John Tenniel’s classic illustrations of Lewis Carroll’s Alice. Of course, the narratives within in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are all concerned with the main character’s departure from a mundane Victorian life through the fascinating and absurd landscapes of Wonderland. This is my very first book and one that perhaps represents my maternal grandmother’s literary ambitions for me from very early on. Her inscription indicates that this book was given to me on my first birthday in 1985, undoubtedly prefacing all of the literary rabbit-holes I would spend the rest of my life exploring.
Cover
Tenniel's Jabberwocky

Alice
Grandma Jane's dedication.
Carroll, Lewis. The Best of Lewis Carroll. Illus. John Tenniel and Henry Holiday. Seacaucus, NJ: Castle, 1983.

No comments:

Post a Comment