Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hook - Steven Spielberg

While not a book, this videotape seems to have made its own interesting journey. Inspired by J.M. Barrie’s early 20th century children’s novel (also annotated in this collection), the film focuses on an older Peter Pan (Robin Williams), returning to Neverland to revisit his old identity and save his children from a revivified Captain Hook (Dustin Hoffman). Perhaps appropriately, this VHS was a pirated copy of the film that was always in the drawer and my paternal grandmother’s house (rest assured, I have since purchased the DVD). My sisters and I were usually only able to watch it when our parents were out-of-town on business trips or vacations, although at some point in 1996 we plundered this treasure and brought it back home with us.

Hook. Dir. Stephen Spielberg. Perf. Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Julia Roberts, Maggie Smith. Tri-Star, 1991. VHS.

Note: Yes, I am aware that the image above is a DVD and not a video tape. The tape itself, while I do consider it an important part of my collection, is in a basket somewhere at my parents house (not to mention the fact that rewatching the film is a much better experience on disc). If I think of it, I will try to get around to taking a picture of it (although anyone of my generation would not be hard pressed to imagine a nondescript black VHS tape with a white label marked with black Sharpie).

As another musing sidenote, I still don't exactly understand why Spielberg has all but disowned this film. Perhaps he measures his successes in box office proceeds only but it holds a special place in my heart as it does for many children of the 90's.

No comments:

Post a Comment