Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

Continuing a brief pirate theme, I first read Treasure Island on a weekend that I had been shipped off to my paternal grandmother’s house while my parents were away. I started and finished Stevenson’s novel about Jim Hawkins’ adventure to find buried gold and his encounter with the dreaded pirate Long John Silver when I should have been sleeping on the floor of her sewing room, a room also appropriately dominated by a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf inhabited by her own literary treasures. The volume, a beautiful illustrated hardcover with rough-cut pages, is unfortunately not the one I had read in 1997 during that stay at grandma’s house, but one given to me later as a Christmas present from my sister who had recalled our adventures with pirates.




Stevenson, Robert Louis. Treasure Island. Illus. N.C. Wyeth. New York: Simon & Schuster, Inc., 1911 (1981 reissue by Atheneum Books for Young Readers).

No comments:

Post a Comment