Monday, August 19, 2013

Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie (reprise)

As with Dante, I have written on Peter Pan before, but I will include the newer collection entry even though some of the content is the same:

I suppose my experience with this book was the clearest indication of the journey that literary study would inspire me to since, I read almost the entirety of it while I should have been paying attention in my high school chemistry class in 2000. I can’t say that I regretted departing from the mundane world of equations and chemical configurations to accompany Peter and Wendy to Neverland. It helped, of course, that the book itself was a wonderful hardcover with rough pages and artwork that has come to epitomize the wild freedom that Barrie’s boy-who-would-not-grow-up represents. Even more appropriately, this volume had been a gift from the very same grandmother whose TV cabinet we had looted for her copy of Hook.

Barrie, J.M. Peter Pan. Illus. Trina Schart Hyman. New York: Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 1980.

No comments:

Post a Comment