Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Works of H.G. Wells

This book is not particularly valuable but it looks like it might with its faux leather binding and gilded pages. I was given this book for Christmas during my first break home from college in 2002. The giver was my high school girlfriend who, a year younger than I, had remained behind while I went off to school. Perhaps as is typical with long-distance arrangements such as these, the relationship did not last beyond Spring Break. The connections between my life and my books continue to be uncanny since the first novel in this collection that I read when Summer Break began was The Time Machine (17-76). The novel concerns the journey of an unnamed scientist to the future where he finds that humanity is nothing like it had been in his own time. The story is related to the novel's narrator by the inventor himself, but when the traveler leaves for his second trip, the story ends because the time traveler never returns.


Wells, H.G. The Works of H.G. Wells. Ann Arbor, MI: State Street Press, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment