Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Ulysses

I call these my Leprechuan books since they are uniquely small (about 4”x5”), green, contain gilded pages, and perhaps even because their origin is mysterious (it should be noted that the editing on these editions is quite poor, with numerous misspellings and inconsistent punctuation, even for Joyce). I purchased this set from the bookstore of Trinity College on a weekend trip to Dublin, Ireland during the aforementioned semester abroad. The great part about this novel in particular is its own basis in Homer’s Odyssey; Ulysses tells the disjointed tale of Leo Bloom who spends a day wandering around Dublin and experiencing uncanny and profound adventures before arriving home a changed man. On the weekend I purchased these books I can say that I had done very much the same thing.



Joyce, James. Ulysses. N.L.: N.P., N.D. (novel is printed in three volumes in a boxed-set entitled The Works of James Joyce in Ten Volumes).

No comments:

Post a Comment